During Variety’s 10 to Taste ten uniquely talented chefs will showcase their fresh spin on dishes inspired by iconic film scenes. Invited participants include Bay Area chefs who are focused on presenting pop-up style experiences, rather than establishing themselves in brick and mortar locations. A distinguished panel of celebrity chefs, filmmakers and actors will sample the dishes (along with all attending guests), and then “dish” about personal favorites, the latest culinary trends and the role of food in film. Dishes will be paired with Stella Artois and select wines from Vintage Wine Estates. This popular Patron Circle only event is now open to any passholder for just $25!
From the milkshake in Pulp Fiction to Coq Au Vin Wings in Julia & Julia, there are going to be wonderful, if unexpected food choices for attendees to taste and try. Each chef will explain why they chose their dish, as well as discuss what film and film scenes inspired it.
- Victor Eddleman of Spelletich Family Wines will be making a dish from Breakfast at Tiffany’s
- Brett Schaublin has chosen to make the “Martin and Lewis $5 milkshake” from Pulp Fiction
- Christian Graze of Culinary Mercenary will prepare a dish titled “Eggsy” based off of the name of the main character in the British spy hit The Kingsman
- Hannah Hedley of Wildflour Bakehouse is taking on the iconic To Kill a Mockingbird
- Aaron LeRoi of Napa Fit Chef will do Jamaican jerk chicken recipe inspired by the film Mr. Church
- Patrick Shannon will be honoring the time and place featured in Michael Mann’s classic Last of the Mohicans with his dish
- Mercedes Stahlberg of Lady And The Vine will be taking on the tough but exciting task of honoring Julia Child with her plate from the film Julia & Julia
- Jeanna DeMarco of Sweetpea Catering takes the Tortilla Soup, but maybe surprisingly won’t be making tortilla soup
- John Vlandis of Chef John Vlandis chose the film Shrimp on the Barbie and will be making exactly that
- Caitlyn Suarez of Co’ga Enterprises will be taking the acclaimed and loved indie Big Night and be recreating the Italian meatballs from that film
This year, the NVFF17 Variety’s 10 to Taste Panel is made up of an incredible group of people, all with different interests and careers, which will surely make for an entertaining and lively conversation full of diverse discussions on film, food, wine and life.
Melissa King, Whole Foods
Chef Melissa King is one of the most exciting young talents in America’s culinary scene. After graduating from The Culinary Institute of America, King trained under several Michelin-star and James Beard-recognized chefs including Dominique Crenn, Craig Stoll (Delfina), and Ron Siegel (The Ritz Carlton Dining Room). She earned national recognition placing as a finalist on Bravo’s television series TOP CHEF.
She is the first chef ambassador for Whole Foods Market, a global organic foods supermarket.
Jonathan Cianfrani, NVFF Director, Fermented
Jonathan Cianfrani is a director, producer, and editor on the EMMY® and the James Beard Award-winning The Mind of a Chef. For the last five years, he has documented chefs around the world, constantly seeking out new ways to share their culinary passions with a food-loving audience. Jon is the director of the Fermented, which is playing at this year’s Napa Valley Film Festival. I
David Arquette, NVFF Actor, Amanda & Jack Go Glamping
David Arquette is a fourth generation actor, writer, producer from one of the most prestigious acting families in Hollywood. Arquette was discovered in 1997 at Sundance for his role in JOHNS. Since that time, he has acted in dozens of feature films, including the Scream films, Hamlet 2, Never Been Kissed, Wild Bill, See Spot Run, Ready to Rumble and Eight Legged Freaks to name a few.
Arquette will be seen this Fall in Gravitas Ventures’ Amanda and Jack Go Glamping which costars Amy Acker and VMI Worldwide’s Hollow Body opposite Luke Wilson.
Austin Stowell, Actor/NVFF Rising Star Tribute
Following supporting turns in Steven Spielberg’s 2015 Oscar-nominated drama Bridge of Spies and 2014’s Oscar-nominated and Sundance Grand Jury and Audience Award winning film, Whiplash, rising star actor Austin Stowell has several films on the horizon.
Currently, Stowell can be seen in FOX Searchlight’s Battle of the Sexes alongside Emma Stone, Steve Carell, and Elisabeth Shue.
Jaymee Sire, Food Network
Emmy Award-winning television host Jaymee Sire has been a frequent guest on Food Network with appearances on Beat Bobby Flay, Food Network Star and The Kitchen. She previously worked in sports broadcasting for 15 years, most recently at ESPN, where she anchored the morning installment of the network’s flagship show SportsCenter. In her spare time, she also writes a food blog called “E is for Eat.” She has an insatiable thirst for world travel, fancy cheeses and bubbles.